How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

I got married to a woman a while back,we have split up now,but

Customer Question

I got married to a woman a while back,we have split up now,but i found out that she was still married to her 1st husband and as far as I know still is....i'm looking to get married next year and wondering where I stand on this....does the marrage count or is it void
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this. You can annul a marriage if it was not legally valid in the first place, for example as you say the woman you were married to was already married. If the marriage was not legally valid, then the law says that the marriage never existed. Unfortunately, if you want to marry again, you will need legal paperwork to prove this. You will need to file a nullity petition - here is the link to the court form - and the court guidance notes - The court fee is £410, although you may be able to get assistance with the court fee if you are on benefits or a low income. This is a link to the government site which provides a full explanation of the process and links to the various Court documents required - I hope this assists. If you have any further questions please let me know. I am likely to be offline for the rest of the day, until this evening, but I will come back to you. Thanks