How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71134
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My exboyfriend has been harassing me and trying to crash into

This answer was rated:

My exboyfriend has been harassing me and trying to crash into my car also threatening to make my life hell! Not treating my son right not picking him up from school when it's his days, we have been through court and we have half and half residency, the school have to ring me to fetch him on his dad's days to get him from school because our son is still at the school gates, also I have text messages saying he dad is cutting his wrists and wants to end his life! Also I asked school who have wrote me a letter saying that they are worried about my son in his dad's care, on his face book his profile is him with a knuckle duster also comments about bombs, I have had to move into my mums house to feel safe, also my son was crying the other day saying he's scared that daddy might hurt his mummy!i reported all this to the police and been to solicitors and nobody can help, please can you and give me advice please.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't see where I have to reply to my rate this answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can you do for me
What I need to know is what is your question about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has harassed me for 3 years he has a criminal record for violence and drugs and believe he is still dealing drugs he has threatened to put me in a box he has threatened suicide im scared for my life and my boys life what can I'm on a low income police and solicitors won't help I'm having to ask my mum for financial help what can I do
I'm not sure what you are hoping to do about this.
The police will consider your reports but there is no way of forcing them to launch a full scale prosecution and certainly some of the points above do not amount to offences.
You could always bring the matter back to the family court but if he has residency then it is quite unlikely it would be taken away from him and you do always face the risk that he may get full residency if the court thinks you are trying to obstruct contact. That is happening increasingly.
There is no particular reason that you need to have any contact with him at all which would resolve any risk to you.
Your son is being collected from school and so there is no need for you to be there when he collects. If he attends at your address without any reason to be there then just call the police.
It is always possible to sue for harassment but I wouldnt' suggest it. You would have to bear the cost and if the police are refusing to act then there is a chance it could be determined in his favour and you would end up paying his costs.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He hasn't always picked him up when he's supposed to the school have rung me to fetch him I have a letter to confirm this
Yes, I understand but that isn't a police matter.
Realistically that isn't going to lead to his residency being revoked either.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have joint residency when he has to pick him up he doesn't turn up when it's my residency to pick him up he abuses me and tries to run into my car what can I do
As I've said really, this is not going to lead to any interference with his residency.
You can report the actual abuse to the police although you can't force them to act. It is quite unlikely that they will accept that there was any deliberate attempt to drive into your car.