How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

On the 23/12/13 we suffered storm damage to our house roof.

This answer was rated:

Hi on the 23/12/13 we suffered storm damage to our house roof. This resulted in damage to both the front and r ar bedrooms. A claim was made to our insurance company for the repairs. After 17 months 3 builders 2 drying companies 2 loss adjusters they finally completed the work which should have taken no more than 2-3 months. During this time we lost the use of our back room as it became a building site. As a result of their incompetence we took the insurance company to the ombudsman. They found in our favour but only awarded an additional £450 over the piecemeal payments made by the insurance company, making the total £1500, this equates to approx £3 per day. Which is far less than the guidelines on the ombudsman web site.
We are of the opinion that the ombudsman has not acted impartially and failed to follow their own guidelines is there any other process we can follow to correct this and obtain reasonable compensation and do we stand any chance of improvement if the ombudsman has given a decision albeit not accepted.
Hello Andy my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much are you seeking please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
The ombudsmen web site indicates that the compensation for severe issues as between £2000 and £5000. We were looking for the higher end but would settle between these two figures. Link attached for your info
You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please advise on the situation further as we have been to the ombudsman they have offered £1500 and there is no delivery of goods as it was poor workmanship and considerably extended topi me period for the repairs.
Any ombudsman decision is not binding it's a recommendation only. If the hurdles say between £2000 and £5000 then this is what you should claim.
If it's poor workmanship then they are also in breach of section 13 of the sale and supply of goods and services act 1983 by failing to act with all reasonable skill and care.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response.
If we sign the ombudsman acceptance document are we then legally bound by the decision and unable to take it further.
Sadly yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that if we took the matter to the small claims court we could have a case.
Yes I do.otherwise I would not have suggested it to you.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.