How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a small business and have a shop (approx. 10m by 6m)

This answer was rated:

I own a small business and have a shop (approx. 10m by 6m) with two floors. Upstairs I have a Craft studio which serves refreshments and downstairs I have a gift shop (all run under the same business). Recently the Planning Authority (Peak Planning) have verbally informed me that I am only allowed one A-board sign for my business.
I have two shop frontages with exits/ entrances at each end. One leads onto a pedestrianized area owned by the council. The other leads onto a privately owned courtyard. The landlord of this courtyard had given full permission to me to display my A-board here.
Realistically I need one A-board at each entrance/exit to my shop, otherwise people are not aware that I have a craft studio upstairs.
Does Peak Planning have the over-ruling right over my landlord to say I can not have an A-board sign on the private property? I need some clarification around the legalities regarding this....
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Sadly yes. Even though its private you may still need planning permission. So yes planning can overrule private landlord.
I am sorry that this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

Is there another type of sign that would not need planning permission that I could put there?...i.e. if I leant a chalk board sign up against my window so it is not an obstruction and is not actually touching the back courtyard?

Sadly I think anything outside is advertising and therefore needs permission.
If its not bigger than 0.3m square you dont need planning permission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** does that fall under?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.