How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I currently am in debt to an ex partner to the tune of

This answer was rated:

Hi, I currently am in debt to an ex partner to the tune of c£17.5k. It wasn't a loan, it was given to myself (£21k) from his mother to help me purchase a new lease for my property and give him some security so he could own a small % of my flat.
However, as soon as I had the money he started to want it back and within a 6 month period, things got nasty, he become aggressive and angry as he couldn't go on the deeds due to his financial situation, he didn't get a legal letter or anything drawn up.
I didn't want to be with him any longer, as the relationship took it's toll badly on me over the 5+ year period and I had become very stressed and ill.
We split over a year ago and to begin with I could pay him £300 a month, however I am self employed and an ex client then went into liquidation on me owning me £15k, I became financially unstable and haven't paid him anything since last Autumn.
I found out he'd been fraudulently claiming at y home address when we split and have reported this recently, had to involve police as he threatened me, but feel I need to arrange some sort of legal correspondence to them now to stop them harassing me for the money and put a payment plan in place if possible.
I need advice with a way forward....
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you accept you owe the money claimed?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I do, to be honest I feel it's all a grey area, as it was never discussed as a loan but given to us and whilst I don't mind paying some back an amount I feel the fact he fraudulently claimed benefits at my home and I've paid out for legal fees and lots over the 5 years I should make them an offer but not the full amount, as I'll be our of pocket due to this and the stress that I'm incurring having missed some days work this week and last week dealing with this.

So I guess my answer to your questions is I should pay him some but not all of it.

Do you have a number?
Do you have a number which we can speak on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
07903 502063
Ok, shall I call tomorrow as its late?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, lunchtimes probably best.