How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

L have joint ownership with my elderly father of the family

This answer was rated:

hi, l have joint ownership with my elderly father of the family house worth £150,000.
If he needs to go into a nursing home what claim can the govt. make against his half of the value of the property to offset nursing costs, and how would implications would that have for me buying the property outright.
thank you,
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you currently live at the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Clare,

my father lives alone at the house. He is separated from his 2nd wife and l bought her half of the house. She has no claim on the property.

In that case if he does go into a nursing home then a sale of the property could be forced - unless you were willing to purchase his share of the property for full value
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you