How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Council tax enquiry there, a friend of mine is currently

This answer was rated:

Council tax enquiry
Hi there, a friend of mine is currently claiming the single occupancy 25% council tax reduction. Her daughter has recently had her 18th birthday, though is still in full time education. Her new partner moved in roughly twelve months ago and has registered on the electoral role at her property.
The local council has written to her in the last week noting that there are now more than one person living at the property and asked for details for the additional residents. My friend is concerned that having neglected to inform the council of the additional occupants she has broken the law and may face criminal proceedings.
May I ask you to advise on how best to address this situation? My friend is happy to pay the back dated council tax but concerned that she may be prosecuted
Regards Steve
Hello Steve my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know why the partner moving in was not declared and how much she thinks she has underpaid council tax by?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,
Failing to notify the council was a simple oversight and miss understanding. Potentially 18 months and roughly £800 in discounted council tax arrears
Ok. Assuming she hasn't done it before then it's likely to be a caution if the matter proceeds and to pay back the underpayment.
But given the value if there is to be any action it's likely to be a caution only. It would cost the council too much to prosecute £800
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one other thing
My friend is a police officer and concerned that this may get back to her employer the consequences of which she is concerned could result in her dismissal. Is this a possibility or is she unduly concerned?
I don't think she needs to worry.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.