How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been told by a car dealer that they are not allowed

This answer was rated:

I have been told by a car dealer that they are not allowed to sell cars by setting up
a Personal Loan rather than a car finance agreement. Is that correct ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No, they can do as they wish.
They may have a policy of doing that and that is fine and a matter for them.
They would not themselves by allowed to loan money without FSA certification but they can legally accept money from any legitimate source.
However, they can refuse if they choose to do so. Nobody can be forced the contract with anybody.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband bought a car from Rix Motors two years back and it was

found to be faulty. Unfortunately they set up a Personal Loan agreement

with Barclays which has been settled and another car purchased.

But because of all the hassle regarding the car he is now paying an

agreement which he used to settle the car to get rid of it, but a car

dealership has told him that they were not allowed to sell him the car

using a Personal Loan, hence the question that was raised.

Unfortunately my husband is dyslexic and it is easier for him to

communicate with people over the phone.

When he mentioned it to me I did wonder if what the dealership

was saying was correct.

I'm really sorry but I suspect they will charge it and send it to court. There is a chance they will not notice the aggravation and so give you points.