How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband has died he has left a will, in which he has left

This answer was rated:

My husband has died he has left a will, in which he has left everything to me. Our two accounts were in joint name. Only his ISA with £23,999.25 in it which matures next year is in his name. Do I need to go through the procedure of probate ?


Thanks for your enquiry.

I am afraid that as there is over £5,000 in the ISA, you will need to obtain Probate.

For the sake of a phone call, you can always phone the Bank and explain that this is the only asset, and see what they say,but I'm afraid all major Banks will insist on seeing Probate if the balance on their account is over £10,000.

Please don't worry too much about completing the Probate application- they won't fine you!! If it is getting you down, you can always ask a local Probate Solicitor to sort out the paperwork for you- he can prepare an Oath, which you will need to swear, and he can then submit the Oath and the Will to the Probate Registry. He is likely to charge approx £150-£250 plus VAT for the work.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Please let me know if I can be of any further more assistance.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you