How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm a Singaporean resident in London. I've just been

Customer Question

I'm a Singaporean resident in London. I've just been asked to be Legal Guardian of my friend's 15 year old son (also Singaporean) who is starting boarding school in the UK this September.
How do I go about the process of becoming his Legal Guardian please?
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What exactly do his parents wish to do with regard to the child?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, the child is Singaporean and going to boarding shook in Cambridge. By law, international students <18 years old in private boarding schools need a legal guardian resident in the UK. His parents want me to be his legal guardian.
My question is - How do I go about becoming the legal guardian of a Singaporean child studying in the UK? What paperwork etc and what's the process please?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Ah I see.
This is dealt with by way of a letter signed by the Parents authorising you to Act in their stead whilst the child is here in the UK.
This should confirm that you have authority to deal with all education and health issues whilst the child is here in the Uk
Their school of choice may have a letter they use - but there is no set form
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the information. Appreciate there is no set form. Would the school's letter be sufficient as documentary proof that I'm his legal guardian?

Note that legal guardianship in the UK requires a court order, in the case of someone taking on guardianship of children. However, as my ward is an international student and is required to have a legal guardian in the UK, what I have is paperwork from his school in Cambridge (no court order).

Wondering if that will suffice as the process to become legal guardian of an international student under 18 years old is different from if I were to be guardian of a British minor.

Thank you.