How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I'm a former primary school teacher, that has moved into at-home

This answer was rated:

I'm a former primary school teacher, that has moved into at-home child minding, with a view to expanding to other premises in the next couple of years to take on more children and staff.
I invest heavily in children's books and have begun to think about the routines I have now, that I could use in the larger childcare environment that I want to develop. At the moment, we chose a few stories and I read them to the children while they eat breakfast but for them all to see the book, I'd like to have a stock of 'big books.'
I used to use big books for classroom teaching a lot, but they are difficult to source, are expensive and the range is very limited. I'd like to begin scanning the books I have already bought, into a computer program, enlarge each page to A2, laminate and spiral bind to create my own big books. This way the children can have any story they chose in a large format to read as a group, but this is a time consuming process and I'd need a larger printer and laminator. Before I go down this road, I'm concerned that by re-creating the books in a large format for use in my home childcare environment and also in a more formal, nursery setting that I may be breaking some laws...copyright laws for instance.
Is there anyone who can advise me if, having bought the books, does this give me the right to copy and recreate them in a larger format? Many thanks in advance/
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I presume all purposes for which you want to do this are business-related (rather than for personal home use for example)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the purpose of enlarging the books would only be for use when working with children Monday- Friday. I have no children and only deal with them when working.
It is highly likely that you would be infringing copyright as you will be reproducing the work in question and it would not just be used for your own personal use rather for business purposes. Therefore, you would need the permission of the copyright owner(s) to do this. The fact that you have purchased the books does not mean you are allowed to copy or reproduce the work unless this right is given to you when the purchase was made (usually it would be contained within the information part at the beginning of the book). So if no such right exists you would require the copyright owner’s permission to do this. Some may have no issues with you doing this especially if you explain what the purpose of the copying is and the fact that you have already purchased the original books so you are not really losing them any revenue from doing what you have proposed. Another option, which is entirely down to you, is to just go ahead with the work anyway, considering that the likelihood of anyone finding out is remote. To be able to take any action against you they would need to show that they have suffered losses as a result of your actions but as you have purchased the original books and they do not offer any books in the format you have created then they have not really lost anything, for example lost your business by you not purchasing enlarged copies as they do not actually exist. So the safest option is to contact them first, but if needed you could go down the other route by taking this relatively low risk. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you