How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just received a postal charge & requisition alleged

This answer was rated:

I have just received a postal charge & requisition for an alleged speeding offence on the M25 in Surrey between J13 & J14 in February '15. They claim that a variable speed of 40mph had been displayed & I was photographed doing 67mph. I have no recollection of any speed reduction on this date and they have not submitted photographic evidence of the speed limit. Should I plead guilty with mitigating circumstances or not guilty and take my chances in court?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you get a Notice of Intended Prosecution?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Yes, dated 27 February. It was a request for the name & address of the driver, which I duly completed.

Do you have any other driving convictions? What was date of offence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My licence is clear but have a history of SP30s

2 in 2009

1 in 2008

2 in 2006

Have you asked for evidence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I have only just received the paperwork & was completing the forms when I considered my guilty plea.

Who should I write to to obtain the evidence of the reduced speed?

Should I plead not guilty?

It would be easier to talk this over but don't want to pay an additional £37 at this stage - hope you understand?

You should write and ask for the evidence as it will need to be disclosed anyway. Its highly likely they have it, otherwise they would not summons you
If you get the evidence then in reality you are stuck. But I would write NOW, ask for the evidence. Sadly it does sound like you will have to plead guilty.
If you dont and later convicted you will have to pay £300+ costs, a large fine and more than 3 points.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I assume I should write to Surrey Police rather than the Court?

Depending on when the hearing is you could write to the Court and ask for a short adjournment for the video evidence to be provided.
But its highly likely they have it........... Sorry
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.