How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I have had a bad reference given out of blue how can I go about

This answer was rated:

I have had a bad reference given out of blue how can I go about getting this same reference stopped for future requests from this company?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Is there anything untrue in this reference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its untrue that they did not know about my medical condition. I made them aware at the interview. Also I had NO meetings with any suppliers and finally, I was promised a fair reference at the point I tendered and they accepted my resignation.

So what does it say that is bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Surely, its unfair to mention my medical condition and taht I met with suppliers when I did not thus causing me stress.

And to state in the reference that they would not re-employ me seems unfair as I resigned I did not get sacked!

Hi it is not fair for them to say things that are untrue. If they give an untruthful reference which results in you being unable to obtain new work then you can ultimately bring action against them in negligent misstatement to recover your lost earnings.
I would suggest you write to them to say that the reference that they have sent is untrue and if they send any further untruthful references to future employers you will have no alternative but to bring a claim against them. You could ask them to agree a form of reference to use in the future.
Ultimately, from a practical point of view, it may be best to seek a reference from elsewhere (another employer) if possible. Although I understand it may not be.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you