How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am renting a flat from foxtons, then i accendently

Customer Question

I am renting a flat from foxtons, then i accendently burnt my kitchen and landlaord had ask me 10 thoundsand pound to cover the damaged, do i need to pay for this? Or the flat should have the insurance ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
It would be better if he had insured the flat of course.
However, even if he has that doesn't mean you are not liable. He cannot be forced to make a claim upon his insurance. He is free to pursue you as the defendant if he chooses.
The only thing you could challenge is the level of the claim. I don't know whether or not it can be done cheaper than £10k. You should certainly ask for other quotes.
Nevertheless though, insurance or not, you are liable I'm afraid.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?