How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My boyfriend is being charged with common assault on his

This answer was rated:

Hi my boyfriend is being charged with common assault on his mother and myself . We didn't press charges or make a formal statement . He's never been in trouble before. He's an ex royal military policeman himself with an outstanding record . He's going to plead guilty in court , will this go in his favour ? There's been factors leading up to this for months , ie his father passing away , he never see's his son . He's so worried he could go to prison . Please can you help ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know how the police became involved?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I initially phoned them as I was quite scared as he was so angry . But I put the phone down before I spoke to them , his step father then rang them back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We actually live together and the police bailed him the next day without any bail conditions
Ok. Then he should plead not guilty. If you are not to give evidence then they can't prove the allegation. It will be set down for trial and when no evidence is called he will be not guilty.
If he pleads guilty then he will only get a fine, again because they can't prove any injury.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was the CPS that made the decision to charge him . So it looks like he will just get a fine ?
Yes. But again I think he can plead not guilty if you are not going to give evidence. But custody is unlikely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Myself and his mother didn't make statements and said we didn't want anything to do with going to court . Does the circumstances that have happened in the last few months help him .. Ie all the stress and upset he's been under ?
No sadly it makes no difference. But I think he is still not guilty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you