How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have applied and seen a recommendation that a

This answer was rated:

I have applied for Probate and seen a recommendation that a notice be placed in the Gazette to see if there are any outstanding debts.
From a brief look at the recent notices it would appear to me that not many notices regarding a death are placed in the Gazette and I would like to know what additional guidance is used whether to place a notice in the Gazette.
For your information my sister lived very close to my Mother for about 20 years and in recent years had a Power of Attorney to help her.
What are your views?
Thank you for any assistance
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
As you may be aware, an Executor would become personally liable for a deceased's debts if they distribute the Estate before discharging any such debt.
Therefore, if an Executor is unsure what debts a deceased had (usually connected with business), it is always best to place an advert in the Gazette, so they do not become personally liable for any unknown debt.
As your sister has had power of attorney, I guess it is very unlikely that there are unknown creditors out there and that your sister will be aware of all of your Mother's outgoings. In the circumstances, I would not waste any money in placing an advert in the Gazette.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Can I assist you any further?
If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Can I assist you any further?
Kind Regards