How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently opened a small business in Ballymena in September

This answer was rated:

I recently opened a small business in Ballymena in September 2014. At the beginning of 2015 we were informed of a public realm scheme taking place in the town.On the 8th June two rows of barriers were placed for 75m up our street restricting access to our shop and the work of replacing the pavements started.
It is now 31/7 , in total we have workmen on the street about 3 weeks in total and there is no end in sight.Business has been greatly affected leaving myself and other retailers stressed, frustated,and very angry.
Is there anything we can do to be re-imbursed for loss of takings or even to get rates relief.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you written and complained to the Council please? IF so, what have they said?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I Have spoke to the council in person and they have said they agree that there is not enough manpower on the job that had originally been discussed ,it is taking too long to be completed with maximum disruption to both retailers and customers

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't set out losses against last years figures as I have only opened .It is a kids clothes shop so I can't base it on weekly takings either, I just know the footfall past the shop is down dramatically as is my takings yet I 'm expected to pay my rates on time on a monthly basis with no progress being made on the situation which is causing the problem to start with.

Ok - you can write to the Chief Officer of the Council and complain. That office will investigate the matter and report back to you. If you are not satisfied with that response then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They can investigate the complaint, they are independent and free.
Their website is:
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.