How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a two bedroom flat and rent it out to one person,

This answer was rated:

Hi I own a two bedroom flat and rent it out to one person, Marcia. She then sublets the second bedroom to a person of her choice, although I do insist on meeting her choice before they move in so I can assess them. I have a standard shorthold tenancy agreement with Marcia. What agreement does Marcia need with her housemate and what agreement do I need with her housemate - or is there an agreement I need with both of them. I don't want to be in the position where someone is living in my property with no signed contract between us. The housemate pays rent and deposit direct to Marcia.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You do not need an agreement with the Housemate, there would be no contract between the Housemate and you.
Your agreement with the Tenant Marcia is fine, its an AST.
Marcia needs an agreement with the the sub-tenant. She can't have an AST as you are the Landlord, another agreement is required.
You dont need an agreement with the sub tenant as you have your usual rights which dont go away.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did ask in my original question - what agreement Marcia would need with her housemate? I have been using a house share agreement with landlord not resident at another property but that wouldn't apply as Marcia is not the landlord?

Its a licence to occupy. Marcia can't have an AST as she is not the Landlord, you are. The sub tenant would be just that and can't have an AST.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.