How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Step-sons ex girlfriend has left her car which failed an

This answer was rated:

My Step-sons ex girlfriend has left her car which failed an MOT on our property since Jan 4th 2015. We asked verbally for it to be removed by June 27th and after endless promises that it would be moved nothing happen. After several more requests we again gave a deadline for today. Nothing has happened and we wish to know are we in our rights now to have the car removed to a scrap yard. Also would we be in our rights to retain any money we get from it being disposed of. Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What reason has she given for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay , had phone call.

She is in dispute with my Step son over everything and as she has always been spoilt by everyone she is not taking it seriously. She is also pennyless. She claims she has no where to take it and after asking mechanics to deal with it apparently, nothing has happened.

Is she the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes she is the registered keeper, She has sorn it to our address, The car was left here originally without our prior permission.

Do you have documentary proof of the deadlines ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No because it was all friendly at the time and everything was done verbally as we did not expect the relationship to go pear shaped.

Yes, you need to put it in writing.
I would write to her and send it recorded delivery giving her 14 days to collect. You could refer in that letter to previous conversations but you still need to put it in writing or you are vulnerable to her denying that notice was ever received.
If she ignore that then you do have the option to remove it. You could dispose of it or you could just push it onto a public high road and then she will start to get fines from the DVLA. She will act fast enough then.
You can claim the costs in disposing of the vehicle.
it is important to be able to prove what you have sent though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you