How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50181
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

HelloI live in Armenia. After it turned out that the

This answer was rated:

Hello I live in Armenia. After it turned out that the private investigator that I had hired to trace a person in London, lied to me and did not even conduct an investigation, I put the entire information on him and the case on However afterwards I started to receive a set of threats through email and facebook from the P.I , some of which even sounded like death threats saying that I am not going to see the next Christmas. Is it possible for me to file a complain with any of police branches in U.K?

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. You may indeed contact any of the UK police stations to complain about a national or resident in the UK, even if you are based abroad. The best way to do this would be to find out which is the local police station to him or at least the main station in the city or county where he lives. A list of numbers for UK police forces which you can use if calling from abroad can be found here: I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I want to know what is exactly the grounds which I am going to file a complain about. He imposed obscene language and countless threats, how should I legally name it?

What documents I need to file with my complain?

Doesn't U.K police have any bureau for online crimes and if so, isn't my case also related to that?

Besides this agency used two different profiles to contact me and one of the two profiles I believe to be a fake.

However in the fake profile he mentions why he is contacting me.

Their conduct could amount to harassment or a direct threat to kill under section 16 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. The documents may vary from force to force so you should contact the local one to him and speak to them first, they will then tell you if you need to complete any specific documents. There is no specific section for online crimes like yours – the online crimes are to do with fraud and financial crime, not what has happened to you. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This Agency is performing these acts of harassment due to the fact that I had paid them 1200USD last year to conduct an investigation.

After taking my money they contacted me and said no such person exists in UK, however one year later the same person that was claim not to exist was arrested by the British police.

After realizing that I have been swindled I filed their agency on ripoffreport and that's when the death threats and harassment were started.
That is why I wonder if I should also report them as online fraud as well or just complain on the harassment grounds is enough?

That put aside if I travel to the united kingdom can I take them to the court ?

if you want to report them as online fraud then you do so through Action Fraud: It is possible to take them to court to try and get your money back but it would not be easy as you are not a UK national and it would involve a complex legal process so the costs of making the claim could b a lot more than what you are trying to get back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I travel and take this to the court what is the ground I am going to complain (Besides making direct threats) and if the agency is convicted in the court can I demand compensation and the fee which I paid for the lawyer ?

Or is it possible to reach a compromise even before taking him to the court?

You can only take them to court for breach of contract, for charging you for a service which they did not provide. So you can only pursue them for the fees you paid them. You cannot sue for compensation for the threats they made. You cannot get the legal fees back from them because the claim is below £10,000 and in these cases each party party their own legal costs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't I possibly report this agency and their communication to any specific body(perhaps NGO) that is in charge of giving accreditation or certification to this agency?

Yes of course, if they are members of any specific organisation you can report them to it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And if I win the court will their license be revoked or at least have some criminal records?

No, this is a civil case, it has no repercussions on anything else, it just means you get the money you paid back
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have reported this case to both the local police and

I want to know if there is any Customers right protection agency in the UK that I could also report the same to them.

Thank you for your response, which I will now review. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Hi, consumer protection would only apply to individuals in the UK and as you were based abroad these would not be applicable to you, so you can only pursue this as a breach of contract through the courts or the avenues you have already used