How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49839
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can you tell me my legal rights under the data protection

This answer was rated:

Can you tell me my legal rights under the data protection act and the information a school holds about me as a parent.
Many thanks
***** *****
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What information in particular are you enquiring about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter made some accusations at school, which they informed to social services. I have asked the school for copies of all information, but they have said they can not give me this. It is my belief that any information held electronically, I have the right to copies of. Please could you confirm my rights.

Many Thanks

Not every piece of information held about you electronically would be disclosable. Had they obtained the information about you via ‘normal’ means so to speak, for example details they held about you when you enrolled your daughter, anything you had supplied to them during her time there, and so on then that would be covered. However, if a confidential report was made about you, even if it has data about you, that does not mean they have to disclose it. However there is a specific exemption under section 30 in Part IV of the Data Protection Act which would deal with your case and would allow the data to be withheld. This covers information held about the data subject which is in relation to carrying out social work. So as this is in the hands of social services you are unlikely to be able to force the release of the data and would need to discuss the issues directly with Social services, depending on how far they decide to take this. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you