How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I'm flying to South Korea in October to have surgery. Iv

Customer Question

Hi I'm flying to South Korea in October to have surgery. Iv been informed that if I paid for the surgery by debit card I would be charged 50% extra because of the governments socialist policies. My surgery will be costing £6000 and my surgeon has said the best way to pay is by cash, travellers cheques or both. Iv read on the governments website that you are allowed to take £6000 in cash out of the country. But Iv read in online forums that people who've tried to take as little as £3000 or £4000 out of the country in cash have had their money seized and held for 48hrs even when they have done nothing wrong. Are they allowed to do this? Is there anyway I can avoid doing this? If I brought my bank statements to prove where Iv got the money from it would probs only cover £4000 of the money because Iv got £2000 saved in cash. The reason I have got £2000 saved in cash is beacause I have 2 jobs. My main job is working for my dad at his shop he pays me in cash, it goes through the books and I pay all the tax I am supposed (we share the same accountant), but he just prefers it that way. My second job is as a security guard which is where the £4000 comes from, the money gets paid into my bank and I just let it pile up (I also pay tax on this as well by the way which my accountant sorts out for me). Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Why can't you pay by CREDIT card please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well i haven't got a credit card but even if I had one I think that I would still be charged an extra 50% for using it on a large transaction, they do this to get as much money out of tourists as possible, or so my surgeon says. I do think that if I did just take £6000 in cash or cheques to Korea there is a good chance everything would be fine because it is legal but if something went wrong (like if they seized my cash), it would be an absolute nightmare because I would miss my surgery. And also I'm worried that if they did seize my cash they would come to my house and ask my mum or dad if they know why I'm trying to leave the country with £6000. I'm having genital surgery in Korea for a very embarrassing problem that I have had all my life and I was hoping to keep it a secret so wouldn't want my parents finding out.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Indeed. My advice is get it done in Europe. Sadly if you pay cash in advance there is no guarantee they will complete the procedure.
Further if anything goes wrong you can't sue in the UK, you would have to sue in Korea. This could cause difficultly.
I would really suggest in getting it done within Europe, then you can pay by credit card - they would be jointly liable under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.