How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am currently married to a brazilian woman and we split

This answer was rated:

Hi I am currently married to a brazilian woman and we split up in mid 2013. She has since moved on and had a child with another person.We got married in Brazil and I am trying to get our divorce finalised but from what i have checked I can only do this in Brazil ? I have no clue what i need or who i need to talk to and my portuguese is basic at best. I just ned a bit of guidance on how to approach and if i did go to brazil how long would i need to be ? do i even need to go there ?
Thanks for your time
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there any reason you do not wish to start divorce proceedings here in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
The reason I have not started divorce proceedings from the UK is because according to what i know so far, you can only get divorced in Brazil as it is the law there. This is the main reason I have not done anything from here as I have been communicating with my ex in hopes that she could get it done.I know now that I am the one that will need to do it which is why I am here asking what my options are.
Thanks Dan
For clarity - do you intend to return to live in Brazil - or remarry there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in England
In that case there is no reason why you should not issue Divorce Proceedings here in the UK - as you are fully entitled to do.
You will have to arrange for the papers to be personally served on your ex in Brazil so that you can prove that she has seen them but that is the only extra problem involved.
The divorce will not be recognised in Brazil until is has been registered there - but that is her problem and not yours as it will be recognised everywhere else in the world!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou Clare
Thats amazing news. I will be travelling next month so my question is will I be able to get the papers by the end of the month if started the process tomorrow ?Once again thank you so much for your time.RegardsDaniel