How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My name is***** Rampling. I was stopped doing

This answer was rated:

hi my name is***** Rampling. I was stopped doing 110mph by an unmarked police car on the M5 at 0320 on 29/06/15 , dry weather very light traffic. I have been given a date for court 27/08/15 in Bath.
My query is this. The witness statement by the police officer identifies me as Dr Micheal John Rampling , and not Michael, the correct spelling . I have checked my driving license which I gave to the officer and it clearly shows Michael not Micheal.
I guess I am clutching at straws here, but having noticed this minor mistake I am obviously hoping it may be a technicality which could invalidate the prosecution ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Sadly not.
Officers often make minor mistakes such as name or vehicle registration. If the person driving and you are the same person, it really makes no difference whether the spelling is wrong.
So if its Michael or Micheal it does not matter.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest,
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Alex, thanks for that, I forgot to ask, and it would have been a more sensible question really, I am wondering whether it will make any difference to go to court or whether to just plead guilty by post.The incident happened on 29th June and my story that I have learned my lesson and drive at the speed limit now is, I feel , rather undermined by the fact that I was caught by an average speed camera doing 74 in a 60 limit on 22/07 . And so, my question is, does turning up in court and pleading your case really make much difference in terms of avoiding a ban or would they be more lenient if I sent a postal plea and saved the court time , or woud it make no difference, in your opinion ?

If you are going to plead, do it by post. You can put your reasons down. But in reality they will want a hearing to decide whether you going to be disqualified given the speed. So you may want to attend and get it dealt with that day.
Either way you will probably have to go for a hearing given the speed.
Does that help?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it does thanks

Great. Good luck with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** need it :-(


I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.