How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

This is a question about social services and the legality of

This answer was rated:

This is a question about social services and the legality of psychological assessments.
The situation is this. I am a life sentence prisoner and have been out on licence for three years, I have a girlfriend in Wales that I started writing to more than 10 years ago when she was serving a sentence for manslaughter. We met up again a year ago and she is now six months pregnant.
I want to move down to Wales to be with her, Probation have no problem with it, neither do the police but social services do. Early this year she did an initial assessment with them to show them that her situation was fine. Single mum with a happy 5 year old son.
Social services have had a meeting about me moving down and after consulting legal want me and my girlfriend to do a psychological assessment before they agree. My girlfriend doesn't want to as they have already assessed that there is nothing wrong with her situation I however have agreed to do the test but only with a solicitor present as they have already described it as a legal issue.
What legal issue requires a psychological assessment before a couple can move in together and how should I proceed?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
This is not about whether or not you can move in together - it is about whether or not she can keep the baby if you do.
Your girlfriend should agree to the assessment to show that she has thought through her relationship with you and is not in anyway under your "influence' in any negative way.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you