How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I lawfully evict my husband from a property I own jointly

This answer was rated:

Can I lawfully evict my husband from a property I own jointly with my business partner? When we moved in it was a multi tenanted property. I moved out 2 years ago and it remained and still is a multi tenanted property. He does not have a tenancy agreement and has been asked to leave with notice on numerous occasions. The property is now sold and the purchasers are pushing myself and business partner to exchange contracts and complete the sale. My husband appointed a solicitor that tried to apply matrimonial rights however couldn't provide evidence and the application has now been cancelled by land registry. All tenants have now moved out as all were given notice however my husband has refused to leave. I have been advised that I can simply enter, change the locks and remove his possession to a safe storage and provide him notice that I have done this. I have also been advised that I do not need a court order to do this. We plan to carry this out tomorrow and have arranged a locksmith and a security company to protect the property 24hrs a day from re-entry until completion. Please advise. Thank you.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you given him written notice to leave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Verbally and text message on 18th may
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Verbally and by text on 18th May
before you can change the locks you need to give him at least two weeks written notice - and a text does not achieve the same thing.
This is because if you do not he can apply for an order allowing him to move back there and it MAY be granted - not will but a good chance if the court feels sorry for him.
Two weeks written notice will remove that risk
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you