How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been storing some clothing and papers I

Customer Question

I have been storing some clothing and papers for someone I met on the internet. he left my home and has not returned for over a month in this time I have asked him to collect his things and to date its threats and arguments. the police advise me to give two weeks notice which I have done but he has not turned up. please where do I stand legally cause he is threatening me with legal action and theft. I am disabled ans also parcially sighted plese can you help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What is the theft?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he is saying he has jewellery in his bags I have not been in his bag but he is lying

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
But you are offering to allow him to collect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done so for the last 5weeks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, there are a variety of issues.
Firstly he cannot say what is or is not there at this stage as he hasn't collected.
Secondly, you are offering to let him collect.
Of course, he could lie and say there were items there when there were not. People do lie to the police sometimes. If he does then it will be investigated and you will have to defend it. Whether it would be charged or not is another matter. They are charging more than they should arising from domestics.
He could sue in the small claims court as well but then will need to produce some evidence of the value of these items and anyway there will be a cost in doing that which he won't want to bear.
Can I clarify anything for you?