How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Jones Your Own Question
Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Matt Jones is online now

I purchased a one bed flat in 2000 and was told the only monies

Customer Question

I purchased a one bed flat in 2000 and was told the only monies to be paid to the Freeholder was ground rent of £15.00 annually.
Then in 2004 I received a letter from the Freeholder agent stating that it's in the Lease for each property and that I should insure the property under the freeholders agency.
I was advised by the managing agent to cancel my existing Building Insurance policy and obtain cover with the freeholders agency.
This year I have challenge the high premium of £478.99 plus Admin fee of £19.99 making a total of £498.98 for my one bed flat.
I have recently found out that my neighbour who has exactly the same Lease as myself and managed by the same freeholders agency has been allowed to have his own private building insurance. I have since taken out my own private building insurance and submitted evidence to the freeholders agent which they have not accepted and has since sent me a letter of Legal Notification. Can you help with this matter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
HI I will try and help
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
SO the lease indicates that you have to insure, rather than the Freeholder, and you just need to submit evidence of the premium paid?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Can you reply to the above so I can help further?