How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just received a notice possession/forfeiture

This answer was rated:

I have just received a notice for the possession/forfeiture of lease hearing for unpaid ground rent for mortgaged property.
I phone the ground rent company offering to pay arrears who referred me to their solicitors.
Solicitors broke information down as follows:-
Disbursements 9.00
Court fees 280.00
Ground rent 60.00
Admin charges 48.00
Legal costs 966.00
Total 1,363.00
The legal fees seem outrageously high.
Worried sick about this - my home is worth 180k - how do I stop court proceedings - will I have to pay these very high legal fees?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You will have to pay all fees except admin and legal costs. If it does go to court then you can contest these costs and ask that the judge asses them.
The judge can then go through see what work has been done and will either agree or reduce those costs.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Alex.

Who do I pay the disbursements (£9), court fees (£280) and ground rent fees (£60) too.

Biggest fear is losing my home over this if I don't pay in full which is worth circ 180k.

Will it just be a case of the judge reviewing the fees and either asking me to pay or reduce them? no chance of loosing my home?



The judge will say probably you have to pay something if you were late with rent etc.
I don't think you will lose your home. The court will give you a period of time to pay off the costs.
Does that help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That helps a lot Alex - thank you for your clear advise