How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I purchased a mixed uses property in March of this year. The

This answer was rated:

I purchased a mixed uses property in March of this year. The building was split into a flat on two floor and a shop on the ground floor. My solicitor presented me with a final completion statement witch we paid in full and the transaction was complete.
Now 5 months later the solicitor said he had charged the incorrect stamp duty and request a further payment of, £4,900-00.
Seeing i paid the full amount on the final solicitor statement am i duty bound to pay this amount as it was the solicitors mistake.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I am afraid yes you have to pay the full stamp duty land tax owing. However you look at it, it is your responsibility to pay the tax man what you owe. The solicitor's mistake is unfortunate but you still would have owed the tax anyway. It may be worth asking the tax man if you can pay in installments.
What you should not have to pay is any fines, or interest that have resulted from this. These have arisen from the solicitor's error and the solicitor should pay these for you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you