How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A friend of mine lost he naming rights to his child to me after

Customer Question

A friend of mine lost he naming rights to his child to me after he lost a bet. What type of legal paperwork would I need him to sign for this to be legally binding?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain exactly what you mean by "naming rights"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Per the terms of the agreement, he is willing to sign to say that I have the sole power over the full name of his first born child, so what we need is some kind of document to that effect.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Since no agreement that is drawn up will be enforceable by the courts all you need is a simple document signed by you both in the presence of a Witness stating that the father is willing for you to name his first child - if indeed he is ever in a position to chose a name for his first child.
If he believes that it is binding then fair enough - but you need to be aware that it is not
Please ask if you need further details