How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49816
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I feel I am being harassed in the form of abusive emails texts

This answer was rated:

I feel I am being harassed in the form of abusive emails texts and phone calls. I would like a solicitors letter sent to the person . Is this acceptable ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had an 18 month relationship with a married an which ended when his wife found out end of May 2015. She proceeded to send me abusive and offensive emails, texts, which I did not respond to. Eventually she became pleasant , asked to meet me which I agreed to, that was fine , then constant texting , asked her to stop said I couldn't tell her what she wanted to know. When I didn't reply she would become abusive with veiled threats to inform my children that I had been having an affair. Last weekend she sent photos of her and her husband to me so I phoned him, said I would seek legal advice . He asked her to stop, she said she would. Now I have received 2 abusive short phone calls
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean you want us to send a letter or do you simply want to know your legal position? Please note we cannot send letters as we only offer an online service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know in your opinion what I should do next ? She knows where my business is and where my son works. I'm anxious as to what she will do. I explained I felt this was affecting my health as it is very stressful. It's also affecting my business as I don't want to answer any no caller I D calls
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what is my position here?
This conduct could potentially amount to harassment. The relevant legislation that deals with harassment is The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in civil cases and The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in criminal cases. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.
Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.
In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue.
So in the first instance the police can be contacted and this matter reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the victim can warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree it is trivial, and I do not want to bother the police with it, however it is causing me a great deal of stress. I'm willing to see a solicitor with the view to a legal letter being sent . Is this reasonable ?
Yes certainly, you have the right to do so and it would be the first step in trying to resolve things, apart from sending a letter yourself, so it would not be unreasonable to seek the help of a lawyer to get a letter drafted and sent on your behalf to warn them about their behaviour and the potential repercussions should they not stop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I doubt thy me writing a letter would make a jot of difference
Who knows, but it is an option, a free one, should you wish to try it out before engaging a solicitor and paying money
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Considering her behaviour so far I doubt it. I have already told her it's effecting my health
You do not have to try this option, I just mentioned it as it is available to you, so if you wanted to you are entirely free to move straight to a solicitor's letter if you think that would be more effective
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you