How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am enrolled at a London university on a PhD course. Unfortunately,

Customer Question

I am enrolled at a London university on a PhD course. Unfortunately, I have had reason to submit a complaint against my supervisor as he has not provided me with any supervision or support. I want to withdraw from the university, as I have made no progress whatsoever, and enrol at another university. I am also seeking a full refund of the tuition fees I paid in good faith. The university complaints charter states that they "
will normally resolve Stage Two complaints within one month of receipt of the properly completed form. Students will be informed if, for any reason, there is likely to be delay in the process". After one month I was told that there was a delay owing to the number of complaints they were dealing with. I have now been informed that there will be a further delay owing to the "complexity" of my complaint. The delay is not only causing me financial difficulty, as the university is holding on to the £2000 tuition fees I have paid but it is also preventing me from submitting an application to another university.
I would like to know whether I have grounds to insist that they escalate my complaint for a speedy decision and whether I can request any interest be paid on top of the money I would like refunded as they have now had £2000 of my money for 8 months and I have nothing to show for it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.