How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I need an answer' please.The Criminal Police Department of

Customer Question

I need an answer' please.The Criminal Police Department of the Police (CPS) took my tenant to the court and he was charged with the following.
(1) Theft.
(2) Fraud.
Perhaps because of his previous history of my tenant, the matter went to the crown court with Jury trial and the decision was that the Jury unanimously found him (the tenant) not guilty.
It is incorrect that he was found to be not guilty of theft because the heavy equipment he had taken from my premises (to which he was having the keys) could not have been shifted without at least three people involved (because of the work) and a van to carry away from my premises to the new premises where they were sold.
The stolen equipment has been found by the Police at the site of the shop owner to whom they were sold.
Later, I got the information that these were at the Fish and Chips shop and I informed the Police who went and found them and photographed them. The owner of the Fish and Chips shop confessed that these ere purchased from my tenant Mr S. He was charged by the Police BUT, the thief absconded to another country.
He returned to the UK and almost five years later the CPS managed to charge him and a Crown Court tried him and he declared to be not guilty unanimously by the Jury.
I am disappointed and so are the Police.
The stolen goods are still at the shop where they were sold and they have been photographed by the Police at the site where they were stolen and taken to.
My question is - can I appeal against the verdict? Can I ask the court to say that the stolen goods are still at the new site, the place where they were stole to. Should I appeal because I can show the court where the stolen goods are?
Please ask some experienced lawyer to reply and how much will be the fee, please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You cannot appeal a jury verdict I'm afraid. There is no means of doing so. Once the jury has acquitted that is decisive.
The fact that you disagree with their view is not a ground of appeal in any event. Usually one side is displeased with an acquittal.
It might well be that the evidence wasn't gathered properly. They are too busy investigating domestic squabbles and neighbour disputes and allegations of people trying to kiss somebody one hundred years ago to deal with any proper crime in the UK. That may be worth of a complaint but not a ground of appeal.
I'm very sorry but that is your position and I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?