How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'm an online retailer and among other stuff I sell

Customer Question

I'm an online retailer and among other stuff I sell bedspreads, table runners/cloths window curtains and net curtains.
I recently has some trouble with garden furniture cushions which require special testing that I wasn't aware of and I want to avoid this kind of situation in the future.
Could You please tell me if the products I've mentioned above require any special testing, certification or labeling according to British law?
Thank You for Your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
All of these types of products have to comply with UK fire regulations and as a retailer you have to know what these are, as you can't import foreign goods for sale in the UK that don't comply.
You may not need to have products specially tested but they do have to comply and you should not use suppliers that don't comply with the regulations we have in the UK.
This brochure will help you:
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid my colleague is incorrect.
Bedspreads, curtains etc. do not need to to comply with the Fire Safety Regulations but you need to ensure compliance with The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 which specifically provide that a distributor such as yourself must ensure that products are safe.
See here for more details about the above Regulations
Hope this helps