How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71138
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Having been convicted of a crime back in 2007, to which I now

This answer was rated:

Having been convicted of a crime back in 2007, to which I now know the full truth about, and someone who I came to believe set me up is now doing time for, for trying to set me up again; can I use my rights to clear my name?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
For what offence is this person in prison?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He downloaded images of child abuse and stated to the police they were mine from the time I was arrested back in 2006
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I should state it before I forget, I gave my statement to the police concerning this accusation against me and the arresting officer said I had nothing to worry about as I was in prison at the time. I had tried to clear my name before by stating to the MET that I was set up but they didn't take my claim seriously. If they did, then maybe they would have found this criminal and his brother guilty 2 years ago.
What was the crime you were convicted of?
What was the importance of his evidence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was convicted of downloading images of children.
He was doing the "dirty work" for his brother. He was helping his brother (who hates me) try to get me out of the house (original). But of this time in particular, he was helping his brother to get me sent down again in order to stop me from claiming my share of the mortgage that I helped him buy a house back in 2001
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to log off soon. How do I go about continuing this session as of tomorrow?
I'd like to ask one other thing without sounding rude, I had an email stating my payment has been accepted, but I thought I didn't have to pay unless I was satisfied with the result?
What did his evidence add to your trial? In what way did it convict you?
You will need to email customer services here***@******.*** about the payment issue as only they deal with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no evidence as such as I pleaded guilty on the grounds that there was no way of proving my innocence. For I didn't know back then what I know now.
Thanks. That is all I need to know.
I am really sorry but there is no appeal on this basis. You have pleaded guilty. There is no way around it. Had you pleaded not guilty and been convicted then there might have been an appeal on the basis that fresh evidence has been found but that didn't happen.
If you are intent then you can seek leave to appeal out of time but I'm afraid I would not get your hopes up.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality of a guilty plea.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thank you. Not really what I was hoping for, but it was a long shot. I still believe in innocent until PROVEN guilty and as I wasn't actually proven guilty, in my eyes I am innocent. Thank you for your time.
No problem.
All the best.