How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I booked a hotel in Brighton 24/12/2014-26/12/2014 through

This answer was rated:

I booked a hotel in Brighton 24/12/2014-26/12/2014 through third party website but paid for 2 nights at hotel. Third party website misinformed me that there would be 24 hour dining, no exceptions. Hotel informed me due to Christmas, only breakfast and buffet dinner was available, Christmas Lunch was fully booked. I emailed third party website and received response that they would contact hotel to resolve issue. 5 hotel staff including the chef assured me no lunch available, until finally, soup and sandwiches was provided. Following my stay, I submitted a review on Trip Advisor about what happened. Hotel responded that they had told third party website Christmas Lunch was available, and I refused their offer. I was never told of any offer by anyone and I have asked the hotel to compensate me for the way I was treated. They have refused but third party website offered me 20% refund of £160, the cost for both nights. My position is £32 is not enough compensation for the deceit of hotel staff, management, third party website, whoever is responsible for the utter lack of customer service that I received. Why is the hotel not liable? Thank you, ***** *****

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
How much do you want to claim please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex, I would like to claim £160, the cost of the 2 night stay. I have asked the hotel's General Manager for this amount via email, he replied he did not think that I'm entitled to any refund from the hotel.



You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Since I did not actually incur a financial loss as such, your advice does not necessarily apply. I paid for 2 nights b and b and received that. What I did not receive was honesty, decent customer service, an apology in writing and a decent amount of compensation for having had to beg to buy any kind of lunch when the hotel website states 24 hour dining and does not mention any exceptions. Then to be told after the fact, that I was offered formal Christmas Lunch via booking agent and did not take up the offer. No one informed me of any offer, either the booking agent or hotel staff, that's why I feel entitled to compensation greater than 20 % offered by booking agent. So how can I file small claims in County Court?



It's for breach of contract for distress caused.