How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50158
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I walked past someone's car and accidentally scratched it.

This answer was rated:

I walked past someone's car and accidentally scratched it. I admitted it to them as an accident, they now want a ridiculous amount to repair it. What am I legally obliged to do?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you checked to see how much it would actually cost to repair the damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has already had it repaired and the cost is £858. I have had quotes varying from £300-£500 based off pictures of the scratch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is also threatening to involve the police if I do not pay him the full amount.
As you caused the damage to the car you would be responsible for repairing it. However, you would only be expected to pay what is reasonably going to cost to repair such damage. The person should have checked what it would generally cost to make such a repair and gone for what the average quote would be, not the highest. So if he is now pursuing you for the money then you can state that you believe the costs are unreasonably high and ask that you obtain 3 different quotes and go for the average of these then offer to pay that amount. If he refuses to accept it then he may threaten to contact the police but they will not be interested in this – it is a civil matter not a criminal one. So the only way for him to take it further is to go to the small claims court. However by doing so he would be expected to justify that the amount he spent was actually a reasonable amount and the provision of quotes is likely to come into it again. So if he cannot justify the amount he spent as being reasonable and what an average quote for such damage would be then he is unlikely to recover it.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The final question is that he believes that if the work was not carried out as a full panel respray done by Audi it would invalidate his warranty. Does this effect the case?
It may do but it depends on whether that was true or not. The answer lies with Audi so they would need to confirm if that was actually the case. It is no good just him believing that if it was not true so he would have to show proof from Audi to back that up. If he cannot then it would go back to the original situation. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is the case that his warranty would be void, could it then be viewed as reasonable to have the repairs carried out by Audi?
Depends on what the difference would have been and if the same quality could have been achieved elsewhere. So if they were a lot more expensive but the same work could have been carried out with the same level of workmanship elsewhere and for cheaper then there is an argument he should have kept the costs down
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you