How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Me and my brother were willed my mother's flat after her death

This answer was rated:

me and my brother were willed my mother's flat after her death in February 2013. I sold my share to my brother in December 2014 and received £125k. Do I pay tax on this? I am due to complete self assessment for rental income on property from April 2014 to December and want to complete all correctly. Thank you.
Thank you for your question.
The only tax you would pay would be capital gains tax on your half share (less annual allowance) if there was an increase in value from date of death to date of sale. In addition you would pay income tax on your share of the rental income.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you