How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are tenants (family of 4, 2 adults and 2 girls 11 & 6 years

This answer was rated:

We are tenants (family of 4, 2 adults and 2 girls 11 & 6 years old) coming to the end of a fixed term tenancy agreement (ends 26th August)
We are in the long process of buying (family home) and selling a property (which will fund the new purchase). This will not complete before our tenancy ends.
We have asked for a short extension to our agreement to see us over to completion but our landlady has refused this offering a year's fixed tenancy or nothing.
We are in rent deposit protection scheme
We have always paid full rent on time by Direct Debit
Whilst our buying/selling continues we could potentially be homeless until the purchase goes through before 26th August (highly unlikely)
We are wondering where we stand legally
many thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What do you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello AlexWe'd like to stay in our current rented property until the house buying selling process is 'completed' - (probably mid-september) but clearly don't want to be tied in long term. Landlady only offering one year contract
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For the moment I'll stay with the email chat... thak you.we need to stay in our rented accommodation for approx 1 month more
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello - wondering when I can expect a reply..thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hellowonmdering when I can expect a responsethank you
Sorry I was just in court.
Have you been given notice yet please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have an annual fixed term tenancy (which apparently unusual?) Section 21 notice was served on 27 Aug 2014.9 last year)Because of our home buying/selling situation we have asked for a month extension which has not been granted. We were offered a year or nothing.
Ok. Well actually there is not a lot they can do. You can delay it by several months. If you refuse to move out then they need to apply for a court order for possession.
Even when they issue that it won't be listed for at least 28 days to allow you to defend it. Even if after the 28 days the court grants possession it's never immediate, you are allowed 14 days.
Even then if you don't move they have to instruct bailiffs, which takes a further 4 weeks. So all in all you can drag it out over 2 months.
Highlight this to the and ask them to agree, or say you will only move with a court order, that can delay things by months.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Will the landlady 'win' the possession order? We assume she will - if so what court costs will we incur2. Can the landlady increase therent during our 'extra' stay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alexare you still there? I'll soon leave you alone!thank you
1) Yes they are entiled to possession, you are just delaying it
2. The rent carnt be put up although you will have to pay rent
Does that help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just one more thing how much will we pay in court coststhank you
Fixed Court costs yes. I think they are about £250.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you