How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A truck has driven into my boundary wall and knocked down a

This answer was rated:

A truck has driven into my boundary wall and knocked down a section and damaged a gate post their insurer is refusing to settle the claim disputing the quoted amounts I want to pursue this in the SCC do I issue against the Driver or the Company ?

At present I don't know if the driver is self employed to the company or employed by them.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I direct this to the driver personally or his employer presuming he is not self employed.

I should add you can sue the driver.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can or should ? and does this alter if he was directly employed or self employed, as I would imagine that his insurers if self employed or the companies insurers if not will have a very good legal team and I don't want the claim to fail on a technicality on the claim been directed to the wrong person/company.

Sorry for extrapolating this but I would like to get it clear.

You always sue the driver. They are the one which has caused the loss
Ash and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.