How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50148
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was a member of a six man team doing gas operations

This answer was rated:

Hello, I was a member of a six man team doing gas operations for an oil and gas company. Our jobs were then relocated to another country. The work we did was based on being paid extra to do shifts. As this was no longer going to be available, when we were redeployed we were each promised a lump sum payment to compensate for the loss of salary. Four people got the payment in two instalments, the other two of us have got nothing. Can you let me know if I am entitled to this lump sum payment, please?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you been told why you have not received this payment please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told that the criteria for giving the payment was because there was a critical period last year when the company needed to ensure that we all stayed with the company, so that even though some were redeployed last year they may have been needed to do their previous job again, but we were not told this last year when the payment was agreed.

So as far as you are concerned the criteria for receiving the payment which were agreed have been satisfied?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have, because we were all redeployed within the company, we all had to take a pay cut and we were all meant to be compensated for that pay cut with a retention payment.

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.
I understand this was mostly agreed verbally but it does not mean there was no legal contract in place on which you can rely to pursue this.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you