How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just received a letter from the Council saying

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have just received a letter from the Council saying I owe £400 for underpaid Council Tax from between 14 and 20 years ago. They say they have a CCJ (15 years ago) against me. Can they pursue this debt (I'm not even sure if I owe it) after all this time. I have no records this old to prove if I paid this or not.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No. They need a live ccj, that is one which they have taken endowment action within the last 6 years or obtained the courts permission to enforce.
You should ask for a copy. But they need permission from the court to enforce after all this time.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I refuse to pay in 14 days they have threatened to send a Bailiff which will cost me an extra £75, or an Enforcement Agent which will cost me £235, how do I stop them from doing this ?