How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Private company penalty charge notice

This answer was rated:

private company penalty charge notice
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi there,
I worked for telecom company MJ Quinn.
I left the company 2 months ago and now I have received a letter that I owe £1900 in parking penalties in Morrisons car park
Is this from Morrisons?
Or your company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the parking penalty tickets come from Parking Eye, this the company that has issued the tickets.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is the company that manages morons car park
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you prepared to risk going to court? They probably would sue for this sum
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have received copies 21 copies from MJ Quinn
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, I have 2 businesses and family, not an option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because is private company, and is private land I think I can appeal? I need someone to this for me
Please ignore what you read on the internet. It is mostly nonsense.
Are you prepared to risk being sued?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't want to risk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but honestly MJ Quinn, might have paid them already.....I haven't spoken to them yet...Just got the letter now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
realistically they have should let me appeal right. I have one from November last year
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what i need to do...I am very stressed...
Please help me
I'm afraid you are in difficulty then.
The whole challenge with private land fines is basically that it is not cost effective for them to sue. That is why they usually give in. With only one fine it is not worth the claim. With £1900 worth it is very definitely worth the claim.
If you are not the registered keeper then they do have to prove that you were the driver but I imagine that your firm has named you which is why they are pursuing you and not them.
They do also have to prove that their signs were adequate and that they suffered at least some loss but then you have to risk going to court.
If you cannot risk being sued then the only option is to make an offer of a lesser sum in full and final settlement.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality if you are not prepared to risk court.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
make an offer to MJ Quinn right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The total sum is £2132.00, there are some vehicle charges as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what sum you think, and in what way I should present the question to them?
No to parking eye as you said above they were the ones who had written to you.
usually with offers in full and final settlement you want to be offering around 50%.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, MJ Quinn has written to me not Parking eye!
Then that does change things.
Then it would depend what was in your contract but if it said anything about liability for fines in the work vehicle then you are liable under the contract and I would try to settle it if you cannot risk court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sure it says, they have probably more than 2000 vehicles...
Ok, so I should offer £1000.00, what is better phone call or letter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe phone call better, because more personal??
Always better to negotiate in writing because he can't deny what has been agreed.
Make sure you use the words full and final settlement.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you