How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a problem with british gas 4 months ago they came

This answer was rated:

I have a problem with british gas
4 months ago they came to read the metres in my restaurant and according to them the electricity meter has been fiddled with cause the digits on the metre looked all over the place.
and the same person decided that there was something wrong with the gas metre too. first they wanted to hold me responsible and call the police I told them to go ahead because I didn't do anything. they went and did their own investigations and came back to me it happened before my time as a company director and they removed the old metres and installed new one. they said that limited company is still liable so I have to pay . the hit me with two back dated bills for the total of 15k which the claim is the difference.
my accountant been in contact with them few times to compromise that we agree that we have to pay something if you say the metres have been fiddled but we don't agree with your estimate. he suggested to monitor the new metres for couple of months but the didn't agree . the gas and electricity consumption for the last for three months is way less than what the estimated. now the send the account to debt collection company thats for the gas and the electricity the send me a letter that if i don't pay in the next seven days the will come to disconnect the supply. I need and advise how to deal with this situation. from what I understand that can't come in without a court order. but I heard that BG try sometimes to go in with out court order. I would like to have the opportunity to fight it in court if they are not willing to listen
thank you
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if they will go to court?
Also, I see you have not yet left feedback for a previous answer so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

thank you for your quick response. I am asking if they can disconnect the supply without a court order (based on an estimate that can be disputed )

according to my accountant we owe them something in the region of £5k

not £15k

thank you

Just to be clear, this is the gas metre? Not electricity?
I'm not sure what you could have done to the gas metre ? I am aware of most scams in the UK and I haven't heard of people abstracting gas in the way they do electricity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the problem with both with the electricity the digits on the counter were not aligned properly and cause of that he thinks something was done and the gas the guy who took the metre said the clock was turning slower than it should . I thought they were going to check the metres and get back to me , but all they said to me verbally that they believe it happened before my time as a director around six months before

So is this an electricity meter or gas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


If this is an electricity meter then they do need warrants to enter.
They can get them very easily but they do have to go to a Magistrates Court and make an application and they should give you no less than 24 hours notice so that you have the chance to attend and make representations.
You will find the legislation here
although, of course, that does presume there is no warrant already.
In terms of the Magistrates, they might well be impressed by your argument that the sum is disputed but they will not if you are not paying.
The only exception to this is where there is a genuine emergency.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you very much for your reply , since we already disputed the bill with BG and not getting anywhere what do you suggest?


Start paying as much as you can afford immediately.
On anybody's account you owe something.
That might stop them acting and if it does not then it will almost certainly stop the Magistrates from issuing a warrant.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much you have been very helpful

No problem.
All the best.