How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son was evicted from his house by his former wife. He is

This answer was rated:

My son was evicted from his house by his former wife. He is now homeless. He has title to the property. His belongings have been thrown out into a non weatherproof outhouse and damaged as have some of mine which he was working on and keeping for me. Some valuable items have disappeared it has been discovered when my son visited the property yesterday with a policeman to shield him.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do to acrimonius break up of my sons marriage and settlements child custody etc I am afraid of being summoned for harrasment. The items missing there is no provenance but I believe she may have sold them. Can I take a small claim or should I pursue her at a higher level?

What is the value of the missing items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Difficult one. The Tool Chest was given to me by a former seaman friend now deceased and had HM dockyard plate on it with his name. It contained engine parts for the missing Classic Car Engine described earlier. Value mainly sentimental - the items in it are irreplaceable.

To sue at the small claims court you would need to put a value on them I'm afraid.
There will need to be evidence of their value.
What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe that these items have been disposed of and in my mind that is theft which should be a criminal matter surely?

Yes, I do agree.
You could report it to the police and they should investigate.
She will say that they were never there and probably also that she is a victim of domestic abuse and cry a bit and will suddenly remember your son in a hood in a forest chanting Satanic verses. Amazing how they all remember that their partners were 'abusers' when the relationship has finished.
Whether she will be charged or not is another matter. She could be. It depends on the credibility of the evidence.
Even if she is though, if you want to seek compensation you will still need a rough value.
It is probably a good idea to report it before she starts making allegations against all and sundry.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you