How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Would you please advice: I hired a car through

This answer was rated:

Hi, Would you please advice: I hired a car through which was confirmed by email, only 2 hours later, when about to collect the vehicle, I received another email saying that my booking had been cancelled as per my request on the mobile number I gave when booking, and that the conditions meant no refund is possible. However, given that I made no cancellation or call (which can obviously be confirmed via the mobile company), yet have still been both charged the full fee for entire rental but that it's also effectively ruined a trip taken exclusively for medical treatment—I can now neither get to or have—would you advise on the course of action to take? Were I not disabled/ill/able to work, I would simply purchase another hire but this is the equivalent of 5 months in disability (already living frugally). I am genuinely devastated because it's single-handedly ruined the whole treatment/trip. Grateful for any advice/h elp. Do know a lawyer friend but that would naturally be expensive, stressful and there's still the slenderest hope I can attend the treatment, even if not for the full length because of this heartbreaking error. In gratitude.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I keep trying to reply to ask a question before paying for the extra help when it may not be necessary but this site won't let me write for more than a couple of minutes (and disabled as I said) so if I need it can you offer it later?

Yes of course. If you are happy with the above answer you may rate it so the site credits me for my time.
Otherwise if you have a follow up question you can ask it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For some reason I cannot see my last reply. Many thanks for your help. Would this be the same advice for the EU? They have made it confusing as one company address is in Barcelona, the other in London. Would it be legally binding if via email today? I can send to those addresses too but not today as a result of the additional pain caused by exceeding my disability/chronic disease's limits, I am now stuck in bed (a flare in pain of my disease generally lasts 1-5 days, so almost all the trip). Which is also entirely their fault as I had to get back from the hire car centre without a car meaning a lot of painful moving on extra medication to be able to do it but then there is always a worsening in the condition and payback afterwards lasts days, which now means today I cannot physically move at all or post anything, losing a further day(s), and making the likelihood of attending the treatment all the more thin and gut-wrentchingly sad (I have waited 6 years to do this treatment, all of them bedridden). They are claiming I called to cancel and now ignoring all contact. The evidence of this being entirely false from the phone company's records can be obtained. Many thanks again.

Yes it apples for EU. So you can claim any losses as a direct result of the breach.
Does that help? Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Via email?

Yes email is fine.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much Alex.


I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.