How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10740
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Can a minor sign a purchase agreement to purchase a propery

Customer Question

Can a minor sign a purchase agreement to purchase a propery with the consent of his/her legal guardian? The effect being that the proerty will be registered in the name of the minor and the name of the guardian
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid a minor is not legally entitled to purchase a property and therefore can't be registered as the owner of a property at the Land Registry.

Therefore, the property would have to be purchased in the name of the guardian. For belts and braces, a separate Trust Deed should also be drawn up to confirm that the guardian is holding the property on trust for the minor. The Solicitor acting on the purchase would be able to prepare this.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alan,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards