How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I been in relationship years not married.

This answer was rated:

Hi. I been in relationship for thirteen years not married. House belongs to him we don't have children. Do I have any rights in anything if we saparate? I need to ask lots questions and find out my rights before too late. Where van I call or come? Thanks.
Thank you for your question. I am Caroline and I am a Solicitor and I will try and assist you.
Please can you confirm to me:-
1) are you the joint owner of any property with your partner?
If yes - are you tenants in common or joint tenants?
If no - have you paid any deposit / mortgage payments / added value to property through renovation?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not joint and i didnt pay anything. He pays all the bills. I am only one living on property and looking after. He is married. Thanks
Thank you for your response.
I note that you refer to your ex as being married. I am therefore presuming that you were not married as he was still married to someone else,
Unfortunately English Law does not offer the same legal assistance to unmarried partners as it does to married couples.
If you were not married then the legal route to a claim in relation to the property in your ex's sole name would be under the Trust of Land Act. To have a claim under this Act you would have had to have 1) contributed towards the mortgage payments or 2) added value to the property (ie paid for redecoration / upgrades).
I note that you have already stated that you did not contribute to the mortgage. If you have also not added value to the property - then I am sorry to inform you that the current legal system does not afford you the opportunity to make a claim.
You are of course entitled to any items of furnishings etc that you may have bought. You can request that such items are returned to you and if they are not then you could issue a claim through the small claims court.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I am not conviced with your answer because I have been told by somebody in similar situation, that if you are with somebody for such a long time you are in title of some compensation? I understood from your answer that i can leave only without nothing? He can tell me to go and give nothing? What about my job to look after propierty? I did cleaned and cooked for him and we never had an argument? i just had enough want to be free (not because I have met somebody else - I didn't).
Anyway, thank you very much for your answer. You probably won't answer this one for money I payed. It was good to hear your opinion. Sincerely.
Am I sorry but the law just doesn't protect you the same as it would if you were married.
If you were married then it wouldn't matter who contributed what. Undertaking all of the household tasks would be seen as you enabling a husband to work.
As you were unmarried the rules are completely different. If you have made a contribution to the property by way of deposit, mortgage payment, increased the property value or been a joint owner then you cannot claim.
I appreciate that this is not what you want to hear but I have to be honest as to the legal position for you as an unmarried individual in England and Wales.
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you