How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was stuck 3 hours from work last weekend having lost my

Customer Question

Hi i was stuck 3 hours from work last weekend having lost my keys. I was informed by a local locksmiths that a key could be cut to start my car with the knowledge that a unique chip code would be required to do this. I had to pay 289 pounds up front to find that instaed of fixing the car they had reprogrammed my car so the spare key that i found the next morning wouldn't work. They attempted to charge me an extra 150 pounds to have this rectified. I managed to avoid this cost however from the RACs assessment, whom i later got in touch with after their second set of reprogramming, the only way for the car to have been started would involve getting in touch with my dealership direct which i assume professionals would know. This issue resulted in me missing 2 days work and costed me greatly for no result with no way of a refund. The company in turn, i suspect is commiting fraud as they assured me that they'd be able to do a job that they couldn't the. Blamed the car. Is there any legal action i can take on this? Kind regards, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello Hector my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is your loss in sums of money please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi alex, as i said before, i lost 289 pounds due to this company's inability to complete the required task. I also lost in result 80 pounds on monday for work. Not to mention i was stranded with no food or water resulting in me having scrounge off groups around me just to get a meal over the 3 days that i tried to get home.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.